Lily Tomlin: I've seen it written in information about overpopulation that "People are a good thing. Overpopulation isn't."
Forget individual families. The human family is too big and getting bigger. There are too many of us humans on our planet and, unfortunately, even individually we are growing bigger. And the bigger the number and size, the more resources used and the more waste produced. We're going to have to start polluting Mars or maybe shoot the waste into the sun and vaporize it. (Is that feasible? I may have just solved all our recycling challenges!)
There are too many of our family members already living lives of bare substance. We need a global effort to reduce population and to develop sustainable energy sources. The future of any human family depends on it. Maybe.
So, according to Lily, I'm being completely selfish here. I'm adding another human being to this already incredibly crowded earth and while doing that I'm getting fatter myself. And trust me, with how much I have to pee during this pregnancy I know that I'm also hugely increasing waste. Three strikes against me...ouch. Am I out?
Oh yeah...and did she really suggest that we need reduce the number of people already living on the earth? Do I even need to make fun of that one?
9 comments:
For real? Did she just negate all of her previous assumptions and statements by ending with: "Maybe."???
Do we get kudos for running off our prego fat?
wow? What can you really say to that? What if her mom had thought the same thing and not had her? I guess we would be out one idiot eh? maybe her idea isn't too bad, we just need to be selective on who we let have children right? Sheesh Lily!
Okay. Let this woman go through the experience of throwing up for three months, feeling bloated for 6, and then have a lead basketball kick on her bladder for the last 5, and then push said cannonball out. Then let her repeat this two, three, four, six times. Then I will listen to her opinions on family and motherhood.
Family != Laugh-in, and Lily Tomlin != someone of importance or quality.
My husband and I were just talking about this on our 4th awful car ride this summer. If anyone thinks that the earth is overpopulated they have never been in the car long enough to escape a major metropolitan area. I can testify that there is basically nothing between Ogden and Boise and Boise and Portland. Don't even get me started on Montana and Wyoming.
I totally have to laugh at this one, especially after having driven across the entire country. We have way too much open land between cities, too much corn, and way too much space between gas stations (this is all tongue in cheek of course). Keep on producing over there in CO.
Ok, I had two old ladies cut in front of me at the check out line at ross yesterday, can I just go ahead and rid the planet of them?
I actually read this same article the other day. Too much time on our hands? I could not believe her audacity and frankly, her stupidity. Any argument that begins with "forget individual families" is fatally flawed. (Interesting side note: her partner's name is Jane Wagner. And we are supposed to take her advice on womanhood and pregnancy!?!?) Guess it got to me a little!
My sister has 5 children. She was at the post office one day and a lady came up to her and said, "It's people like you that are causing all the problems!" My sister was shocked, because her children are relatively well-behaved, all the the SAME two parents, are financially cared for (meaning NOT on welfare), all go to school, all are learning to contribute to society, etc.
I guess I'm ruining the planet right along with you. I have no definite plans to stop after number 3 either!
She can do her part to curb overpopulation by putting herself "to sleep".
Post a Comment