Thursday, August 28, 2008

Who's Your Favorite?

Awhile ago I was having a conversation with someone about the "terrible two's." Two is a hard age, but then I was thinking that three has been much harder than two for me. Then since I, along with every single person that I've ever met, will have a newborn here pretty soon I was trying to decide if I thought a newborn or a three year-old was harder. And since I also have a toddler, I thought I'd throw that one in the mix as well. All of these ages are easier is some ways and much harder in others and since I must always have a final answer, I decided that my favorite age is the toddler age. Yes, Kate's age right now is my favorite. Weird, I know. Especially since the girl can drive me absolutely nuts sometimes, but I love that age.

So here's the thing--what's your favorite age? Or do you think that newborns are easier than three year-olds or toddlers? Which is the hardest? These are things I must know. I know you all have opinions on it, I just need you to share them with me just to make sure that I haven't actually already gone crazy.

Oh yeah, and this comes from Cambri this morning:

Mom, I can't wear this shirt because it's freaking me out.

10 comments:

Liz said...

oooh, good question. i have to honestly say that i am freaking out about doing the newborn thing again. i just. didn't. like. it. at least calvin can tell me why he's crying or when he's hungry, etc. but everything is so unknown with a newborn. (not to mention that i NEED my sleep and that just doesn't happen during the first 6-9 months (sometimes more) of a baby's life. so i definitely like the toddler stage the best. i would add that you might have it harder because you have girls. they are very drama!!

B said...

I loved the newborn stage but it was hard. I really enjoy the toddler stage of being able to communicate better and have more of a relationship based on personality but it is really hard too. I'm not sure. I love and hate different stages of both. I'm guessing that's just part of being a parent...

Lucy said...

I would have to say my oldest is the easiest right now. He's almost 4, but only a few months older than your oldest. He can feed himself without spilling all over, he can tell me pretty much everything (instead of just whining and throwing a temper tanturm like a toddler), he gets himself dressed, he takes care of all his potty issues, he can entertain himself really well, etc.
Both of my kids as toddlers had too many temper tantrums and needed more help being entertained. Not to mention, I was still changing Richard's diaper at that age.
Babies are too hit and miss. Depends on their temperment.

Vanessa said...

In my humble opinion a newborn is easier than a three year old. Constant feeding and sleepless nights taken into account (I am talking about the newborn here:) I guess the only difference is the newborn can be fed and happy and will just sleep away, for the first few weeks a least. The three year old can be fed and dry and still cry over crazy things like you put the milk in the wrong sippy cup, whatever!! When Carter and I went to Michigan Logan was 4 weeks old and by far the easier of the two, so I guess a newborn is sometimes easier than a 5 year old too.

Aimee said...

"*Insert random object here* is freaking me out!" is one of Riley's favorite things to say. Where do they get that stuff??

I had to throw my input in here because I had the same thoughts when Preston was born. Here's the answer I've come to...The toddler age is the absolute best. They drive you crazy (boys are waaaay crazier than girls) but it's still fun. Newborns are cute and all that..but let's face it, they don't really do anything. Now. Two's are hard. Three's are harder. Wait until you get to the four's. I'm shuddering just thinking about it. Let's just say it should be called "The Terrible Fours", not "two's".

To make a long story not so short, I completely agree. Toddler age totally wins.

Brandon and Natalie said...

Cambri is so funny!

I am torn between all the stages. There are parts that I love and don't miss about all of them.

One stage that I love is around nine months. Hmmm, but I also love others. Such a hard decision.

Janelle said...

for me, age 7 rocks. the newborn is hard and the 2 year old makes me want to pull my hair out. I guess 4 is pretty nice too. So in summary, the older the better for me.

John and Laura said...

I don't love the newborn stage. It picks up for me at 6 months and gets more and more fun until 18 months, when it becomes more of a discipline challenge. 3 yr-olds and 5 yr-olds are fun in different ways. Easier in SOOO many ways. Harder in other ways. If I had to choose? 6-12 month olds. They interact, they're learning, they don't talk back. That age for my first 2 was really fun for me. Though it probably helps that I've had easy babies. And my rose-colored glasses probably don't hurt, either. Funny how I picked an age that I don't have any of at the moment... :)

I loved Cambri's "freaking out" comment. Today my 5yo said "I just can't handle this seat belt right now" Funny what kids pick up of what we say.

Katie Rod said...

Honestly, I think 6 months and beyond is wonderful. I get tired of trying to figure out what they want during the 0-6 month time. Also, by 6 months they are hopefully on some type of normal schedule and you can finally sleep somewhat (I emphasize somewhat...I still feel sleep deprived from those first few months).

Amy said...

Oh I have lots of opinions on that! I used to think that newborns were so hard because of the sleep deprivation, sore nipples, etc. etc. etc! BUT...now that I've had a three (going on four) year old, I have to say that I will take a newborn over a 3 year old any day!

I love my Gwen, no question, but we have issues a lot! I am in love with Chloe's age right now, and she's a 2 year old! I think it's a matter of...if she throws a tantrum, it's her age and it's normal!

If Gwen throws a tantrum, I'm less patient because I'm going...aren't you too old to be throwing tantrums? I need to be more patient with her...but it's hard! Anyway, so ya...little babies are physically hard, but 3 year olds are draining on the emotions!