Thursday, February 07, 2008

More Allergies

Cambri went back to the doctor yesterday to have another scratch test done. This time she was tested for tree nuts and seeds only. In the previous test, it was more of the weeds, grasses, molds, and major food allergens. And what did we find out? That we're lucky we haven't killed this girl, that's what. Prior to this testing we thought the only foods she was allergic to were peanuts and shrimp, so we avoided other nuts (not so cautiously as you might remember) but didn't give another thought to anything else. We now know that she is allergic to almonds, black walnuts, english walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, and sesame seeds. She also has sensitivities to cashews, coconut, and pistachios.

Did anybody, besides you medical professionals, know that someone could be allergic to sesame seeds? Because I sure didn't and all this time one could've taken Cambri out. That's something I should know as a parent, right? And as for hazelnuts, I have only heard of them being in one thing and that is one of my favorite cookie things (I don't really know what they're called) and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have cared if Cambri would've had one. The doctor also said that hazelnut is in a lot of European chocolate but it doesn't list it as an ingredient. How is that helpful? I suppose it's a good thing we're too cheap to buy anything but Hershey's chocolate, although I have heard that European chocolate is quite delightful.

So if anyone ever watches Cambri for me, you have a few more things to watch out for. And I have a few more things to worry about with this girl.

8 comments:

Jan said...

That's seriously scary. I have a tremendous amount of allergies myself and I know how hard it is to try to stay clear of everything you need to and it's harder yet when you are the mom. At least you know now -- and that's huge.

Amy said...

wow! I'm sorry...what a pain. When Chloe turns two we are getting her tested for everything. So we'll see!

Janelle said...

At least she can still have chocolate. That can be very healthy!

Brandon and Natalie said...

I am so glad that you got her tested. Who would have thought that she would be allergic to all of those things.

It seems like she has been watched over.

I agree with Janelle, at least she still can have chocolate.

This Girl said...

I'm glad that you found out before anything really serious happened to her. I'm sorry that you and Cambri have to go through all of this.

Rachel said...

wouw Jill, that's a heck of a lot of allergies, poor girl. Maybe she'll grow out of most of them...let's hope!

Kristi said...

We're in the same boat right now. After two scary episodes with a cashew and hazelnut around Christmas we're avoiding everything until we can see the allergist.

The Paulks said...

Holy Hannah! I remind Nick on a weekly basis that if Cambri is ever here, no peanut butter. But chocolate!?