We all are somebody. Me? I'm the wife of a Texan. A VERY good looking Texan. A Texan that makes me giddy. Everyone should have their own Texan. Just not mine.
Friday, July 20, 2007
Advice Anyone?
Does anybody have an advice on what to do with a 2 year old that doesn't listen to ANYTHING that you say. And I really mean that this certain 2 year old doesn't listen to a single thing that I say. Is locking her in a closet against the law?
I think locking her in the closet might be against the law. What we are learning from a certain 3 year old (she was 2 in the recent past!) is that it's all about repetition and consistency. Sigh. Sorry.
I agree with Jan. Repetition and consistency. If you promise not to call Child Protective Services, I'll tell you what I have resorted to...I pull my kids hair (ages 2 and 4) after I count to three and they haven't listened. It sounds cruel, I know, but I don't have to do it more than once a week, if that, because they have learned that they don't like their hair pulled! And so they both usually come when I say "one." Then, on the other side of it, I give a TON of praise when they do listen. Good luck!
Yup. Consistency. Don't bend! Even when you think that "oh, but she's so sad and tired and she just needs a little Mommy-love/cookie/another book" don't give in! After a while the yelling/ignoring/crying will stop and she'll believe you when you tell her something (or at least not fight very long). We punish with time-outs (no moving and no talking) and I like my brother's family take: time-out with your nose against the wall --that takes away any potential for fun.
4 comments:
I think locking her in the closet might be against the law. What we are learning from a certain 3 year old (she was 2 in the recent past!) is that it's all about repetition and consistency. Sigh. Sorry.
Ha ha. I understand! I have a 2yo, too.
I agree with Jan. Repetition and consistency. If you promise not to call Child Protective Services, I'll tell you what I have resorted to...I pull my kids hair (ages 2 and 4) after I count to three and they haven't listened. It sounds cruel, I know, but I don't have to do it more than once a week, if that, because they have learned that they don't like their hair pulled! And so they both usually come when I say "one." Then, on the other side of it, I give a TON of praise when they do listen. Good luck!
Yup. Consistency. Don't bend! Even when you think that "oh, but she's so sad and tired and she just needs a little Mommy-love/cookie/another book" don't give in! After a while the yelling/ignoring/crying will stop and she'll believe you when you tell her something (or at least not fight very long). We punish with time-outs (no moving and no talking) and I like my brother's family take: time-out with your nose against the wall --that takes away any potential for fun.
You already know what we resort to. Can I just say, sometimes after my child is sassy, she spends the next few breaths blowing bubbles?
Post a Comment