Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Social Skills

Bedside manner, street smarts. I don't know what you want to call it, but some doctors do not have it. At this point in my life I am surrounded by women who are having kids and/or have small kids. We all remember our pregnancies very clearly and we also remember some of the wonderful things our doctors have said to us.

I have been lucky. My doctor is absolutely awesome. He has never said or done anything that makes me want to kick his shins. But some of the stories I've heard from my friends make me wonder why more doctors don't get physically abused by their hormonal patients.

For example, I've had two friends tell me that their doctors have made comments about them gaining too much weight and they need to slow down on their eating and lay off the sweets. Seriously, do they want to get beat? If someone said that to me while I was hugely pregnant, my subsequent actions would not be my fault.

I do have a doctor's appointment today where I get to stand on that lovely scale and watch the numbers increase like the price of gas, so we'll see if my doctor continues to keep thoughts to himself.

Anyone else have any OB stories? I just love hearing them because they never cease to amaze me.

8 comments:

Jenae said...

This is a funny story about a lady who was pregnant told to me by a nurse. The lady was about half way done drinking her yummy glucose drink and talking about what she had done earlier in the morning and how she had the best doughnuts at Krispy Kreme. The nurse paused her, took the drink away from her mid drink and asked her if she WANTED to fail. What's sad is that wasn't that lady's first baby

Brandon and Natalie said...

I loved my doctor in Utah. She was fantastic! She even came in on her day off to deliver the twins. It takes a little bit for her to warm up, but after that she was wonderful.

Cassie said...

My friend went into her doctor for her 4th child and the doctor after weighing her said, "Now remember your not really suppose to be eating for two." Ha ha!

B said...

When I was pregnant there was a day that I didn't think I'd felt the baby kick all day and it freaked me out. We ended up on the OB floor attached to a bunch of monitors with nurses and doctors walking in and out for about 20 minutes not saying anything to us. Needless to say I was crying and we were pretty scared. Finally we confronted them and demanded some answers after which they got out the doppler and found the heartbeat just fine. We felt relieved and a little bad to have gone to all the trouble, but then some Dr. came in and started asking us why we were freaking out so much and basically started giving us a (nice) lecture about how we were just over reacting. I was so mad. I totally laid into her about bedside manner and letting us lay there for half an hour wondering if our baby was dead. That shut her up pretty quickly. The lousy thing is, an experience like that makes you not want to check things like that out because you don't want to look like an idiot.

I also had another regular doctor (not an OB) when we were first married that told me she wouldn't talk to me about an injury to my leg because it wasn't what I had set the initial appointment for and I basically got one question per appointment. That made me pretty mad--I never saw her again.

Lucy said...

I can't say I've had any bad experiences with my OB. He's been my doctor with all three, though he did not deliver my second. He was out of town.

However, I have had strangers make rude comments. I was in the store shopping for some maternity clothes and the sales lady came to ask if I was shopping for myself and if I needed help. I informed her I was. She asked how far along I was. When I told her she said, "Oh, you don't even look pregnant. How sad!" I heard her comment to her co-worker, "I gained 80 lbs with my pregnancy." Now, I'm not sure why it's sad that I didn't gain 80 lbs. I happen to be glad that I don't almost double in size!

Katie Rod said...

It's refreshing to see that there are some good OBs out there!

My OB for Caleb was...well, pretty boring, had huge hands and had no good social skills/beside manner. When I was about 30 weeks along, I had an ultrasound because Caleb's legs seemed "too short" according to the size of his head. So, my OB proceeded to tell me that my child might have down-syndrome and that I should get an amniocentesis! And then he just left the room because he was running behind schedule. Needless to say, I was rather upset for a few weeks. But everything turned out fine.

As far as his big hands, let's just say I am seeing a woman OB/GYN the next time around.

Amy Marie Gessel said...

When Austin arrived after 3 hours of pushing the first thing the Dr. said was "we have an Orangutan!" Yes, Austin has red hair. Yes, Austin had a cone shape head when he came out. and Yes, he was very swollen. Yes, he did not look so good... But this is my son, so I said "It's a good thing I can't move my legs right now!" You know me Jill, I speak my mind!

My Dr. with Avery was great.... And of course Austin is so cute!!!! AMY

2 + 2+1 = 5 said...

Oh...I have more OB stories than you can count!

One of them is the eating thing. I was following a book on eating to keep the twins healthy. The book works, he didn't believe on it.

One visit, he went on and on and on about how huge I was and how I was never gonna be my normal size again and how he could see me becoming anorexic or bulimic so i could get there....

I cried my entire way home. Then, every time I had to eat, I'd dry heave. Until the day I said that I was the Mom and I knew what was best for me...took me a week of dry heaving!

Anyway...I have many, many more stories...and I will never go back to him.