We have had issues with Cambri staying in bed the past couple of weeks. It started out with her needing a drink of water or needing to go to the bathroom. It has now escalated into her getting out of bed for any and everything.
I got home last night around 8:45 and she was sitting up in her bed with the light on. Her bedtime is 7, so this was not okay. I thought she was just waiting up for me (which she tries to do on the days I'm not there to put her to bed), so I just tucked her in and said goodnight. Between 8:45 and 11 she got out of bed no less than 7 times, all the while screaming, crying, whining, and anything else that could possibly irritate Adam and me at that time of night.
We finally threatened her enough to stay in bed for the night a little after 11. I go in there this morning to get Kate (hoping she hasn't already woken Cambri up) to find that Cambri had changed pajamas after she was supposed to be in bed for the final time and had taken off her pull-up. I didn't even bother to check to see if I'm going to have a huge mess to clean up. I let that naked bum girl sleep!
If anyone has any tricks for a girl that won't stay in bed--please share! She's completely scared of the dark, so it's not worth it (most of the time) to lock her in her room anymore because of the screaming fits she has. We need our sleep--it's like we have a stinkin' newborn again!
8 comments:
I'm assuming a night light doesn't work? We were having a similar problem and doing the freak out crying in the room thing until one night I noticed it revolved around the door being closed. Now we "crack it" until he falls asleep then we close it. I don't know why, but it makes him feel better and he stays in bed. Maybe if you "cracked it" and left the hall light on it would help? Good luck, sleeping problems are the WORST!
Hey Jill! We had the same problem with Shane until we gave him a flashlight and some books to read. We told him if he got out of bed that both would be taken away. Of course we had to go up and turn the flashlight off after a half hour or so but it worked. Invest in some C batteries though! :) Another thing we have tried, is just walking them back to bed without talking or really looking at them...kinda ignoring. Tuck them in and then leave. We have tried this with Jace and after doing it like 15 times he didn't think that it is very great anymore, because we really weren't acknowledging that he was out of bed. After a couple of nights doing this he stayed in bed. I agree with you though....it does feel like they are a newborn again. GOOD LUCK!
We have to leave the closet light on for Caleb--night lights were too dim and we're pretty sure he gets freaked out when he can't see things like his hands.
Has she said she's afraid of things in the dark? If so maybe a desk lamp under the bed shining out would do the trick? Or in the closet?
You already have a couple of great tips. I'll give you what has worked for my kids, but Cambri will probably need something different, so just keep trying until something works!
JuJu (age 5) can't have any lights on or she stays up. Lucille (age 3) has to have the door cracked or else she freaks. Neither of them take naps (does Cambri? because maybe she doesn't need as much sleep anymore--just a thought) so Lucille goes to bed at 7:30 and JuJu goes into our bedroom for a "quiet time" with books and one toy until 8:30. That way they don't keep each other up and JuJu is tired enough to usually fall asleep right away. (she was having "insomnia" problems when we were putting her down at 7:30, not to mention she was keeping a very tired Lucille awake) The other thing I've noticed is if they get enough exercise (which is hard in rainy, cold weather) they fall asleep much more easily.
We have used sticker charts to encourage them to stay in bed. I like the suggestion to take their hand and lead them back to bed without saying a word--kids love attention from their parents, even if they're "in trouble".
If all else fails, I hear ebay is selling kids...
What? These sleeping problems don't go away? I agree with the others that sleeping problems are the WORST! Also, teething is right up there. But, I really don't have much experience in the sleep techniques department because Caleb still likes to keep us up. I would invest in some earplugs if you don't have any already.
Natalie had the same issue with Maya -- the flashlight was one of their solutions, and I think they just told her that she could read her books till she felt sleepy and then she'd just conk out with all the lights on. They told her it was OK to read her books or talk to her dolls or whatever but she had to stay in bed unless she ran to the potty. Seemed to work for them.
duct tape
It can be a bit of a pain, and so I can't do it all the time. However, I'll sit by Richard's door. )It's a good time to do scripture reading). If he gets out of bed, I'll know and can make him stay there. He has a night light. We also take toys that he wants to bring to bed away from him if he doesn't stay there.
Post a Comment