Wednesday, March 19, 2008

50 Things About My Dad

Why my dad? Just read and you'll be very entertained.

1. He still thinks that I am 18 and my brother is 16. All of his other kids have aged, just not us.
2. He is a creature of habit.
3. He has a specific schedule that he follows everyday.
4. This includes things like drinking hot chocolate and eating two (no more, no less) pecan delights, but it can only be around 10 AM.
5. If for some reason this gets thrown off, he cannot eat lunch until he has had his hot chocolate and pecan delights.
6. He loves Sweet Tart jelly beans, but can only eat them two at a time and those two cannot be the same color.
7. If he finds something he likes (as far as food goes) he'll eat it until he's tired of it--it has gone on for a few years at times.
8. He loves chocolate chip cookies.
9. But they have to be practically burnt for him to eat them.
10. He also has to eat three at time, and those three cookies have to be face down on the plate. If you take them to him right side up, he'll flip them over before eating them.
11. He LOVES Peeps.
12. He cannot pass up a sale on candy bars.
13. He never eats the candy bars he buys.
14. He does not drive home the same way he came.
15. He has the ability to talk people into anything. I don't mean for it to sound bad, but he gets a parking pass to Nevada athletic events for free, he's gotten free pizza, he gets tickets to the NCAA first round without being entered into the lottery...things like that. It's awesome.
16. He used to ref all kinds of sports.
17. When he did pee-wee football, he accidentally threw his flag in the face mask of one of the players and it opened up so the little boy couldn't see.
18. After that he started aiming for the face masks to see if he could do it again.
19. He was never able to do it again.
20. He has an amazing memory. After watching one of my basketball games he was able to tell me how many points, steals, turnovers, rebounds, and assists I had.
21. He has been in charge of doing the laundry at home for as long as I can remember.
22. The dishes, too.
23. If you ask him to do something for you, he'll get it done within 24 hours.
24. He has the ability to find out any information you need for anything.
25. Without using the internet.
26. Because he doesn't know how to turn the computer on.
27. He refers to the computer as "the magic box."
28. He has so much knowledge on so many different things, it's amazing. You ask him any question and he can probably answer it.
29. Unless it has to do with the computer.
30. Because he still uses a typewriter.
31. As part of his amazing memory, you can ask him a question like this: Who played 2nd base for the 1992 World Series runners-up? And he can answer it in about 10 seconds.
32. Everybody in Reno knows him.
33. Even if he doesn't exactly remember who they are.
34. He loves to coach basketball.
35. But only girls.
36. He's currently a Varsity coach in Reno.
37. He loves to surprise people and he's very good at it.
38. He is the best secret-keeper that I have ever met. Seriously.
39. I like to kid with him by saying he doesn't work because he spends about 10 hours a week (on a good week) at his office.
40. I was surprised when I realized that most dads work more than that.
41. He hates wearing a suit and never did until he became a bishop.
42. I thought people who wore suits to church were weird.
43. Turns out my dad was just weird.
44. He consistently writes each of his 6 kids that have moved out a letter twice a week, which is sent in an envelope with $2 and newspaper clippings from the Reno paper that we'd be interested in.
45. He NEVER misses writing these letters.
46. With all of his weird rules that he has made up for himself, he constantly says that he has to follow them.
47. Because he didn't make them up and his hands are tied.
48. Which is why he has to eat his cookies upside down.
49. And why his cookies and waffles have to be practically burnt, but his bacon has to be wobbly.
50. And why he sometimes eat his lunch at 3 because he got a late start on his hot chocolate.

See--he's pretty entertaining, isn't he? He also has the best, cheesiest sense of humor. He's usually always happy and loves to make jokes--especially ones that poke fun of his kids. He's awesome.

8 comments:

John and Laura said...

That was VERY entertaining. Now I need to see a picture of him to go along with all these interesting facts about him. Hmmm... maybe I'll try that for my dad's bday.

Angie said...

Thanks for sharing. Dads really are the greatest, aren't they!

This Girl said...

That was cute. Your dad sounds more entertaining than t.v.

Jan said...

Your dad is awesome. He's such a great guy -- and also very entertaining for sure.

Rachel said...

that was entertaining! I love the cookies upside down, and that's awesome he writes you 2 letters a week, wow!

Janelle said...

good call on all of those! I especially like all you wrote about candy bars and computers. Dad is pretty awesome!

Kristi said...

That was completely entertaining, and I love you Dad.:)

Smelsha said...

You're right, he is pretty entertaining. Makes me want to move to Reno so I can know who he is but not so that he can exactly remember who I am. :)