Friday, November 09, 2007

Worst Date Ever Contest

I was first taken to Carrabba's for dinner, which is a nice place to eat, but I would never pick it for myself. The portions are too small for this young lass. Anyway, so we go to dinner and he tells me to get whatever I want (of course I go cheap and he does not) and he orders appetizers, drinks, desserts, the works. When the check comes, he gives the waiter his card and it didn't go through--shocker.

"Could you use your card for this one?"
"Uh, yeah."

So as we're leaving the restaurant (me some $70ish lighter)he tells me that he has a surprise in Salt Lake for me (I lived in Provo at the time), but we had to stop by my apartment first and use my car because his car was low on gas. Whatever. So I do it. I'm a pushover, okay?

We arrive in Salt Lake and he tells me that we're going to look at the lights on Temple Square first, so I go to park where I usually do when I go to Temple Square--you know, the free place that isn't too far of a walk.

"You should actually park here in this parking garage, it's closer to what we'll be doing."
"It's $10, are you sure?"
"Yeah, it's fine."

We pull up to the ticket place (you had to pay first at this one) and he just sits there pretending to look at something. Ah yes, please let me pay to park. I LOVE doing that.

We walk around Temple Square and then we wander over to the carriage rides. Yes, the carriage rides. This was my surprise. We wait for the perfect one (in the freezing month of December might I add) and finally he says it's okay. We get in, enjoy a stinky ride (I'm sorry, but horses stink) and then it's time to get off. Of course, it's time to pay the fine young man who was our driver/horse-leader/whatever they're called.

"Oh, you don't take checks?"
"Nope. Cash only."
"You have some cash on you, right?"
"Uh, sure. How much is it?"
"Only $25. Plus the tip of course."

Now here is the part where I'm a little embarrassed. I didn't even tip the horse guy and looking back, I really should have. But I was already spending over $100 on a date that I wasn't enjoying so I felt justified then, but it wasn't that poor bloke's fault. If I ever see him again, I'll tip him double.

Finally we reach the point where I get to go home. I am so excited about this as I have no more money to spend on things that I don't want. He walks me up to the door and finishes off the night with this:

"I hope you had a good birthday. I know I sure enjoyed being with you."

Of course you did.

Now please share your stories. I don't even care if I have no idea who you are. If you're reading this post and you have a story to share, share it. After all, there is the world's best candy at stake here.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--That's some pretty steep competition there! $100!! That's incredible. What a guy. Hope he met a very, um, independent woman. Ya know, the type that likes to wait on her man.

I'll have to think about a good one. I have a horrible memory, but I know I've got a few crazies in my past.

Anonymous said...

What a sleezoid. I don't think it beats your experience, but I posted my "worst date" experience here.

Jan said...

Oh, my!! That's awful. I could share a few crummy stories too but they're probably so far in the past that they wouldn't count!

Anonymous said...

Okay, : my story's up ... Enjoy! :)

Amy said...

Hey...I did my story! Just go to my blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi There, you can check out my story at www.brallierfest.blogspot.com

Thanks! What fun!
Becki

Tim said...

i can't believe your first date with adam went so poorly! it's a good thing you gave him a second chance...

Tom Rod said...

I know you got engaged sometime around your birthday...